Tuesday 22 October 2019

My experiences of New Voices

Post by Saj Mohammad
@I_get_it_now_ed

If you asked me to describe my experience of New Voices 2019 in one word, it would have to be ‘magical’. Let’s start with the venue, the Centre for Literacy in Primary Education (CLPE). This is a lovely old school building transformed into a home for literacy learning and professional development with a reference library of around 2,500 children’s books. Judging by the work on the walls, the young people who have visited in the past adored it as much as I did.

It did make me wonder why we don’t have something similar for Further Education (FE)? Compulsory resits in FE are a vexed issue for many, so anything that could persuade our learners that reading can be a pleasure rather than a chore can only be a good thing.

As soon as I walked in to the CLPE, I was greeted warmly into an inviting space decked with fairy lights and rapidly filling with some much-needed breakfast items! It was clear that everyone involved in organising the event had a real passion. Let’s face it, no-one chooses to give up a precious Saturday unless there’s a good reason. Although I didn’t know a single person there, just about everyone I met was so kind and friendly.

There was a real feeling of solidarity, not just among us first-time speakers, but among those of us who care about education. It was wonderful to meet colleagues from Early Years, Primary, and Secondary who spanned the range from NQTs to time-served SENCOs.

It was also lovely to meet actual parents too and the theme of co-production was one that resonated throughout the day. As someone who works with EHCP students under the Care Act 2014, we centre the voice of the learner in everything we do. But I certainly began to think more about what we can do to listen more to parents’ voices.

I was speaking straight after the first morning break, so I summoned all the strength that my sleep-deprived and caffeine-addled brain could muster. Listening back to my talk, I think I just defaulted to teacher-mode in my delivery and probably talked quickly and mumbled at points due to nerves. Nevertheless, I really enjoyed it and even had the redoubtable Gareth D. Morewood acting as the Boswell to my Dr Johnson and livetweeting during the presentation!

With the presentation over, I was able to focus on watching other speakers and there were three particular highlights for me. Alice Visser-Furay gave an excellent presentation packed with detail about a whole-school approach to embedding academic reading throughout the curriculum. I saw aspects of my own practice in what she’s doing, along with numerous ideas for improving how I teach and support.

I’m rather too fond of saying that ‘culture eats strategy for breakfast’, but I think it’s important to build change from the ground up, not just imposed from on high. It was great to see reading for purpose with authentic texts used not only in English, but also in curriculum areas such as sports. Alice’s approach was developed in a school setting, but it could easily work in FE settings with a commitment to do the best for their students.

Katherine Alvey gave a brilliantly clear talk with hand-drawn slides on using context to help learners access GCSE English Literature texts. It’s noticeable how FE students studying for English Language often ask lots of questions about texts, particularly ones from the 19th century. Rather than assume students hate studying English, maybe we need to think more about whether they’re uncomfortable with their lack of knowledge?

I’m a great believer in using context and have used history in the past to bring poems like Blake’s London to life. But Katherine’s talk gave me so many more ideas to use. If we can use things like culture and the sense of place to illuminate the contexts from which literature emerges, perhaps we can not only make the study of English a pleasure, but also give learners a more rounded education. After all, knowledge doesn’t live in discrete silos, but is only truly meaningful in a wider context.

The final session that I saw was a last-minute replacement, but luckily Gareth D. Morewood was on hand (I told you he was redoubtable) along with Craig Astin, and they had a fascinating conversation about the Low Arousal approach to managing behaviour in schools. I had so many lightbulb moments in this session that it was ridiculous!

So much of what we do in terms of behaviour management is focused on the learner, but what can we do ourselves as educators? If we walk into a classroom in a low mood due to stress, we pass that on to our learners unwillingly. Before we can even think about tackling our learners’ behaviour, prioritising the wellbeing of staff so that they don’t pass on their ‘emotional contagion’ would be a good start.

At the end of the day, shouting at learners makes you feel bad, makes them feel bad, and often has little positive impact. I know myself that sometimes a subtler approach with a truly calm person at the helm can work wonders. But now I see the value of this approach so much more, thanks to Craig and Gareth’s sharing of their experiences.

The day ended with a raffle and a cocktail, a wonderful end to what was undoubtably a magical day. My experience demonstrated that grass roots initiatives are a lot of work for those involved, but the results are wonderful. I was definitely left with the strong conviction that practitioner-led events and indeed research are the way forward. In fact, the next event I’m speaking at (#FEResearchMeet Greater Manchester) is just that!


That’s why I’d love to give a big thank you to Jane Manzone, Ruth Luzmore, Kathleen Gilbert, and the army of volunteers helping behind the scenes for all their hard work. I also have to give a special mention to Smoky Gauchos, who provided an outstandingly delicious lunch of Brazilian barbecue delights. Also, if you work in primary and haven’t been to the CLPE yet, you are really missing out. See you again next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment